SANDUSKY, Ohio – The wait is over! Cedar Point, the world’s best destination for thrills, kicks off its 148th summer season on Saturday and Sunday, May 6 and 7 for Opening Weekend. There’s so much to see and do this year, including a new beachfront waterpark, hotel expansions, new food, shows and a limited-time change for one of the park’s signature attractions.
The highlight of the new and exciting changes coming to the park will be Cedar Point Shores Waterpark, an 18-acre water-lover’s paradise. Located adjacent to Cedar Point and Hotel Breakers, and set along the mile-long Cedar Point Beach, Cedar Point Shores harkens back to the park’s beginnings as a simple beach resort. The waterpark will debut four new attractions, including Point Plummet – a six-story, aqua-drop body slide. Riders will climb into individual pods as they wait for an ominous countdown. Then, the floor drops from underneath, signaling the start of a twisting, turning and thrilling adventure.
On the same structure as Point Plummet, Portside Plunge allows guests to enjoy an inner tube ride alone or with a friend as they first travel in an enclosed tube and are then released into the sun down a few “airtime” hills before reaching the pool below.
Families will enjoy Lakeslide Landing, an area designed just for the little ones with 12 pint-sized slides, all leading to a zero-depth entry pool. Right next door, the mythical Lake Erie monster, Lemmy, is ready for kids to splash, play and slide all around with water features, geysers and other surprises to keep them cool at Lemmy’s Lagoon.
The drink and dining options inside Cedar Point Shores are also completely new. The Crystal Rock Café will serve up fresh-made pizza, tasty chicken wraps, gourmet salads and additional items not found anywhere at Cedar Point. Schooner’s Bayside Bar and Muffleheads Beach Bar will be great places for adults to grab a beverage and enjoy relaxing moments together.
Additional improvements at Cedar Point Shores include lush landscaping, more shaded areas, upgraded premium cabanas, a new merchandise store and main entrance plus updated changing rooms. Cedar Point Shores will open Memorial Day Weekend.
A visit to Cedar Point and the new Cedar Point Shores is the ultimate family vacation, and the Two Day, Any Day ticket is the best way to experience both parks. For example, guests can visit in May, ride roller coasters at Cedar Point and enjoy the grand opening of Cedar Point Shores on the same day, then come back for fall family fun at HalloWeekends. It’s two days, any way, any day the parks are open for the 2017 season.
After the fun at Cedar Point and Cedar Point Shores, guests can rest and relax at the new Express Hotel, located just a short drive from the park’s main entrance. Express Hotel adds 69 new rooms, many of which are connecting rooms for families, and all rooms have undergone a complete renovation from paint to floor coverings and everything in between. Premium bedding, microwaves, mini fridges, coffee makers, refreshed window treatments, new vanities and showers, modern flooring and artistic photos of some of the best thrill rides at Cedar Point make this property a great option for park visitors.
At the center of Express Hotel, a dramatic courtyard with a pool, family “sprayground,” conversation spaces and shade will welcome guests after a day at America’s Roller Coast.
A stay at any of Cedar Point’s hotel properties comes with the best benefits: Early Entry, allowing guests to get into Cedar Point one hour before the general public to ride some of the best rides in the world, discounted admission tickets and the closest rooms to the park.
Each year, Cedar Point introduces exciting new changes for guests, making a visit to The Roller Coaster Capital of the World!® a must-do on the summer vacation list.
The new offerings include:
- Top Thrill Cubster – On May 6 & 7 only, Top Thrill Dragster becomes “Top Thrill Cubster,” the result of settling of a 2016 World Series bet with Six Flags Great America near Chicago. The coaster’s logo will change and guests will have the opportunity to purchase commemorative souvenirs highlighting this temporary moment in history.
- Melt Bar & Grilled – In just a few short weeks, Cleveland’s own Melt Bar & Grilled will make its debut near Planet Snoopy. Known for over-the-top gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches, the Melt location at Cedar Point will be the ninth in Ohio and will feature a full-service bar and relaxing outdoor patio.
- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling – Located on the Frontier Trail and named after an inventive character from the park’s former Paddlewheel Excursions ride, Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling will take riders 15 stories above Adventure Island before sending them into a free-fall swing toward Millennium Force and the Frontier Trail at speeds up to 60 mph. Frontier Fling is an extra charge attraction.
- New Dining Options – Ohio’s own Root’s shredded chicken, pork and beef sandwiches, along with gourmet macaroni and cheese bowls, are coming to Sky Ride Refreshments, located near the Scrambler. On the Frontier Trail, Famous Dave’s BBQ Shack will arrive with brisket and pulled pork sandwiches, ribs and combo meals. And in FrontierTown, Wagon Wheel Pizza will serve up hand-made pizza with traditional toppings of pepperoni, sausage or cheese.
- Lights, Camera, Action! – The biggest musical hits from the silver screen come to life in the Jack Aldrich Theatre. Hear songs from popular musical movies like “Hairspray” and “Singin’ in the Rain” and enjoy talented singers and dancers in this all-new show. Lights, Camera, Action! will be performed daily (except Mondays) from June 3 through Aug. 20. Show times vary.
The ultimate way to enjoy all that Cedar Point has to offer is with a 2017 Platinum Pass. The benefits of owning a Platinum Pass cannot be beat with admission to Cedar Point and the new Cedar Point Shores Waterpark all summer, free parking, Early Entry, discounts on food and merchandise, exclusive ride nights and more. Guests have until May 29 to take advantage of the best price on Season and Platinum Passes before they go up.
Cedar Point will be open May 6 and 7 for Opening Weekend. The park will then close on Monday, May 8 and will reopen for daily operation on Friday, May 12. For a complete, up-to-date operating calendar and additional information on Cedar Point, Cedar Point Shores Waterpark and the park’s five hotel properties, guests are encouraged to visit cedarpoint.com..